Oakland County's #SupporterOwned Soccer Club

Match Recap

Match Recap: A Victory to Remember

The trek to Muskegon ended in all smiles for your Oakland County Football Club (4-0-4, W-T-L; 12 pts) yesterday evening as we defeated the Muskegon Risers (5-1-2; 16 pts), 3-2, in a thrilling, must-win slugfest.
The opportunities started early for the good guys in purple as high pressure kept the Risers defense busy and uncomfortable. A 14th minute rocket from Charlie Miles that nailed the crossbar began the show. Seven minutes later, Mario Morana (Marygrove) carried the ball into the opposing third where he was taken down just inside the box and rewarded a penalty. Miles took to the spot and buried it easily to the left of the keeper for his first goal of the season. 1-0.

After several more goal-scoring opportunities from the likes of Azaad Liadi (Saginaw Valley) and Hamidou Barry (Oakland University), it was in the 37th minute when we struck gold once again. On a soft pass from the Riser defense, Jonathan Barnes (Finlandia) intercepted the ball’s path and found himself one-on-one with the opposing keeper and slotted his finish to the right of the keeper for his first of the season and our second of the match. 2-0. Ten minutes later, the halftime whistle blew and Oakland went to the locker room with the two goal lead.

Oakland County FC (4-5-1): Walker; Harrington, Leslie, Stoychoff, Hamodi (Okerstrom 90′), Miles, Barry (Serwatka 65′), Morana (Asigo 80′), Barnes, Liadi (Chukwudi 60′, Shefkiu 81′)
Unused Subs: Gonzales
Goal Scorers: Miles 21′(PK), Barnes 37′, Morana 79′
Starting the second half as the first ended, Oakland looked to continue the pressure and net that third goal to make the match out of reach. Unfortunately, that hope was put on hold as in the 59th minute, Muskegon netted their first of the game after a misplayed defensive ball from a cross. The pressure continued for the Risers as momentum was now in their favor. Eight minutes later, that momentum paid dividends as they scored the second in ten minutes to even the score at two. Keeping composure, we were determined to find that final goal as a victory was needed to stay alive for the 2017 playoffs.
In the 78th minute, Saeed Tawil (Marygrove) dribbled across the opposition’s defensive line and was taken down several yards outside the penalty box to set up a free kick for Mario Morana (Marygrove). Playing in his first match in almost a month due to an ankle injury, Morana stood over the ball as he surveyed the wall and positioning of the keeper. Whistle. Kick. GOALLLLLLLLLLL!!!

Morana’s first of the season gave us the go-ahead goal and proved to be the difference as we sat with ten behind the ball for the remainder of the match to secure the 3-2 victory. With their backs against the wall, Oakland responded and kept their season alive.

We brought it for 80 of the 90 minutes. We had a ten minute lapse there, but responded brilliantly. It was one of the most memorable victories I have ever been a part of. Proud of the guys. Proud of the club. This one felt good. – Coach Morana

What’s On Tap:

OCFC travels to Toledo on July 15th to square off against Toledo Villa FC for the second time this season. Kickoff is set for 7:00 PM at Northview High School (5403 Silica Dr, Sylvania, OH 43560).
The next home match falls on Saturday, July 22nd as we welcome cross-town rival Carpathia FC in what will surely be one of the most anticipated matchups of the entire 2017 PLA season. Be there for the 7:30 PM kickoff at Royal Oak High School. Tickets can be purchased for a discounted price here. #BleedPurple